Friday, July 6, 2012

Pompidou Centre

The Pompidou Center serves as both a museum and library for the modern arts. The idea behind the building's design is to expose the inner workings (plumbing, vent pipes, etc.) on the exterior. The bottom photo depicts a sculpture by Niki de Saint Phalle located in the fountain outside the museum. A French artist, Ms. St. Phalle resided in La Jolla for many years before she passed away. You have probably seen her sculptures around San Diego, e.g., on the campus of UCSD, in Balboa Park, and on the lawn of the convention center across from Petco Park. I believe there's also some of her sculptures in a park in Escondido which I haven't seen due to the fact I don't enjoy long stage coach rides (Sorry, Robin. I couldn't resist).



1 comment:

  1. Tom, Joan and I have been to the Pompidou. My favorite exhibit was the totally dark room with a recording of a woman screaming being blared inside the room. My second favorite was an empty room, with only a water faucet hanging out of one of the walls. That was about when I said to Joan, "Let's get the f___ out of here. Tones

    ReplyDelete