Sunday, July 8, 2012

Raised On Robbery

Paris is a lovely city. I didn't want to leave, but it was time. After my last dinner, I was compelled to have a "discussion" with the owner of a touristy bistro after being charged €6.20 (that's almost 8 bucks) for a flat, 16 o.z. Coca-Cola from the fountain. After calmly explaining my dissatisfaction, he explained things are expensive in Paris. I informed him I was familiar with expensive European capitals but his pricing was a little bit over the top. He then made a snide comment about Americans like me being provincial, as if I just fell off the turnip truck in Podunk, Iowa. I told him I was born and raised in New York and I know price gouging when I see it. He again mumbled something nasty in French, so I retorted he was basically committing "armed robbery." He didn't understand that phrase, so I went into pantomime mode and simulated a hold up, complete with pointing my index finger to the side of my head and raising my hands in the air. This really pissed him off, especially because my antics got a big laugh from a group of American tourists seated nearby. At this point, the owner went ballistic and screamed he would call the police if I didn't give him his asking price for the Coke. I informed him I had already paid, but I just wanted him to know that I knew how unethical he was. By the way, this all could of been avoided had Monsieur Greedy listed the beverage prices on the menu.

1 comment: